You’re sitting in your favourite chair at the coffee shop, scrolling through Instagram when you come across a photo of a model. You might think to yourself, “Wow, she looks amazing!”. But is her figure ideal? What about all the other Instagram models you see who don’t have an “ideal body shape”?
The truth is that there is no such thing as an “ideal body shape”. It’s impossible to find one because every individual has different preferences and their own unique proportions. Your ideal body shape is entirely dependent on what your personal preference is and how your anatomy works together. That being said, here are some tips for finding your ideal size and getting that perfect body shape.
The Six Types of Female Body Shapes
There are many different types of body shapes, and they all have different things to offer. You’ll want to identify which one you are so you can find the perfect size for your body type.
The three most common body shapes that people fall under in this day and age are apple, pear, and hourglass but there are six different types of female body shapes that exist, and each of them is perfect for a certain type of woman.
- The hourglass shape is defined by a narrow waist and broad hips. This is the most popular body type in the world because it’s the most flattering.
- The pear shape has a slightly rounded stomach and small breasts with an average-sized butt.
- The apple shape has a large apple-shaped torso which can be due to genetics or weight gain/loss.
- The triangle shape has a long torso but with an average or small butt. The inverted triangle shape also has an average or small butt but with a long torso.
- The inverted pear shape has an elongated waist and slender torso while having wide hips, large breasts, and a small butt.
What is the Ideal Female Body Shape?
The ideal female body shape is the one that works best for your personal preference. All women have different preferences and different proportions, so there is no such thing as an ideal body shape. You should be focusing on what type of body you want to work with, not what other people think you should look like.
When you’re trying to find your own ideal body shape, take a moment to think about these things:
- How do you feel when you see yourself in a mirror? Is this the same way every day?
- Do you feel good in clothes that fit well? How many outfits can you wear with this body type before it starts getting too small?
- Are your thighs the same size all over or do they vary from hip to hip, due to muscle mass or bone structure?
- Are your hips wide or narrow? Do they stick out more than your waist? Are they squared off or rounded off at the top?
- Are your shoulders wider than your hips and legs are long? Are they narrower than your hips and legs are short?
Forming a Goal Based on Your Shape
If you’ve never been on a diet before, it can be difficult to envision what your ideal size would be. For example, a woman who is 5’7″ tall might think that she would have an ideal body shape of 28-30 inches. But once she begins her diet and exercises, she might end up with a different body shape altogether.
So instead of just thinking in terms of height and weight, consider the proportions of your body. If you’re not sure what your proportions are, use a tape measure or try on clothes to find out. That will give you a better idea of how proportionate your figure actually is.
Once you know how proportioned you are, it’s time to set about finding your ideal size. You’ll need to do some research on what types of clothing work best for your body type. Then you’ll need to experiment with different sizes until you find the perfect fit!
Fitting into certain clothing styles can also help identify where your waistline starts and ends so that when shopping online, you know exactly which size will work for your body type.
Once you know what size range best suits your body shape, set up A TON of clothes that fit that range because it’s easier to find out what doesn’t fit than what does. You’ll probably have to try on at least 50 different pieces before being able to identify the items that don’t work for your body type or figure.
Tips for Finding Your Ideal Size
Your ideal size is entirely dependent on what your personal preference is and how your anatomy works together. That being said, here are some tips for finding your ideal size.
1) Take measurements using a tape measure.
2) Determine what your current body is made up of and then look at which proportion you have the most.
3) Use this as a starting point to find your ideal size, which can be adjusted based on your preferences. If you have more weight in one area of the body such as hips or thighs, you may want to go for a larger size than if you’re carrying more weight in another part of the body such as the stomach or chest.
4) To start out with, try going for clothing sizes according to where you carry more weight on the body first – hips and thighs will be different than waist and chest.
5) Once comfortable with this level of sizing, move into clothing sizes according to where you carry less weight – chest and stomach will be different than waist and hips.
Discovering How You Wear Clothes
While most people find their ideal body shape in clothing, that doesn’t mean you have to be stuck with the same size for the rest of your life. To find your ideal size, you need to know how you generally wear different types of clothes.
For example, if you’re tall and thin, then you might be right in the middle between small and medium. If you’re short and plump, then your proportions would likely fall on the larger side due to the way your body is shaped.
Once you know how your body shape works with different styles of clothing, it’ll be easier to figure out what clothes will work for you so that they don’t make any uncomfortable or unflattering shapes.